Drowning Prevention Tips for Kids
Water safety is necessary for all ages, but particularly for children. Drowning is the leading cause of death in children 1-4. Pediatric Associates of Frisco provides drowning prevention tips for kids. For more information please call us. We serve patients from Frisco TX, Allen TX, Little Elm TX, The Colony TX, McKinney TX, Prosper TX, Aubrey TX, Oak Point TX, Lakewood Village TX, Plano TX and Dallas TX.
Summer is the perfect time to hit the water and enjoy the cool, relaxing pool. While still having fun, we need to be aware of some safety precautions. Drowning is one of the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4 yr in Texas. As exciting as pools are, what they are not are to ignore your kids and zone out. Many drownings happen very quickly and unnoticed which is how the nickname “silent killer” came into play. On that note, here are a few tips on how to keep your kids safe in the water.
- Never leave a child unattended in or near water, always be at arms reach from them
- Make sure young swimmers use a US Coast Guard approved watery safety devices while near any waterbody. Don’t use air-filled floaties or foam toys, such as “water wings,” “noodles,” or inner-tubes while in water. These toys are not life jackets and are not designed to keep swimmers safe. They are for recreation use and not safety.
- Teach children how to swim . Formal swimming lessons can prevent drowning by 88%
- It is important to not let swimmers play breath-holding games. This can sometimes cause “shallow water blackout” and can lead to drowning.
- If you have your own pool or spa be sure to install a gate or pool barrier , covers and alarms.
- Ensure all pools and spas in your backyard or public pool have complaint drain covers
- Teach your children to stay away from pool drains
- Know how to perform CPR
- During pool parties always have a designated” water Watcher “ who will have certain responsibilities ( no alcohol , phone by the side to call 911 , avoid cell phone distractions , scan bottom of the pool constantly , be CPR certified )
Most drownings happen during “non Swim “times when all the adults are in house and the child slowly slips out the doors. Hence be vigilant and keep the doors always latched with a door alarm.
Remember the importance of water safety, use the ABCD’s. A- Adult Supervision, B- Pool Barriers, C- Classes and CPR, and D- Devices and Drains (Reaching Pole, Ring Buoy, Rescue Tubes, Med Kit, cell phone and Stay away from drains!). If we all take these precautions, we will be one step closer to becoming a safer community! If you want more information about how to stay safe near water, visit the Texas Drowning Prevention website at http://www.txdpa.com/.
Let Pool time be FUN time !